You can never have too many low-cost marketing solutions. So if you’re unfamiliar with the ins and outs of a successful Every Door Direct Mail, or EDDM campaign, get ready. You’ll be blown away not only by how affordable EDDM is, but how easy it is to begin leveraging.
Here are some insights that you should keep in mind that can help you make the most out of your next EDDM campaign.
What Makes an EDDM Campaign Different?
If you’re unsure of what makes sending mail with EDDM different from ordinary first-class mail, you’re not alone. Fortunately, understanding the difference between them is simple though. If you’re sending postcards using first class mail, that entails you addressing the postcard to one individual or household. EDDM campaigns allow you to send your mail to all the households within a specific area of your choice. This eliminates the need for address permits, lists and address requirements.
Another aspect of EDDM that separates it from first class mail is the fact that it’s so much more affordable. With EDDM, our most common full service 6×9 packages allow you to send full color postcards for an estimated $0.37-$0.41 per piece (postage included!) That means you can use EDDM to send bigger postcards to more households for an extremely low rate. Relying on first-class mail leaves you with pricing that can average $0.50 per piece and higher for just the smallest 4×6 postcard. Having more control over your shipping time is another benefit of EDDM. Your mail may take up to five days to ship when using first class mail.
What Are the Size Requirements for EDDM Postcards?
Imagine preparing your artwork for your postcards, preparing an offer, and finalizing your list just for your postcards to be returned to sender, all because they didn’t meet the proper sizing requirements. Fortunately, this scenario can easily be avoided by adhering to the EDDM sizing requirements laid out by the USPS.
Here’s what you need to remember:
- The weight of EDDM postcards can’t exceed 3.03 ounces
- Thickness must exceed 0.007” while remaining under .75”
- Neither side can exceed 15 inches in length or 12 inches in height
- Mailer must be at least 6 ⅛ high or 10.5 inches long
Who Benefits From Using EDDM?
Even though you now know what every door direct mail entails, you may still be wondering whether or not it’s the correct route. One thing that can help give peace of mind when it comes to your first every door direct mail campaign is the fact that thousands of businesses across a variety of different industries rely on it regularly.
Here are some examples:
Auto Repair Shops:
Let’s say for example that a new auto repair shop is opening. What better way for them to advertise their opening than with a postcard that offers residents in their local area? For bonus points, they even throw in an offer for a flat rate of $25 off of your first oil change if you mention the postcard.
Barber Shops and Beauty Salons:
Earning the trust of new clientele is easier said than done. That’s why barber shops and salons that are new to an area benefit from mailing postcards that offer visuals of happy customers sporting their new hairstyles to every individual household.
Dental or Doctors Offices:
Considering how busy people are, it’s easy to understand how people can forget to schedule an appointment for a physical or tooth cleaning. So when you get a postcard from a dentist or doctor office nearby, reminding you to stop in for an annual visit, they’re likely relying on EDDM.
Home Service Providers (Plumbers, Electricians, HVAC, etc.):
Pretend that you’ve got a leak in your bathroom sink, and have no time to fix it yourself. Since you’d ordinarily just break out the toolkit and get it fixed yourself, you aren’t sure who to call. But you’ve gotten several postcards over the past few months from a local plumber that offers a flat rate-off your first job. It’s likely fair to assume that you would give the local repairman a chance, rather than finding one from Google.
Alternatives to an EDDM Campaign
Of course, there are situations where an EDDM campaign may not be the best solution for getting your message across. That’s why it helps to have a complete understanding of all of the mailing solutions you have at your disposal. Some of them include:
- Saturation Mail: If you find the reach that EDDM delivers appealing, but want more tracking, then Saturation Direct Mail is ideal for you. That’s because it offers more trackability at lower postage rates. Saturation Direct Mail also provides options for targeting.
- Targeted Direct Mail: Relying on targeted direct mail for your marketing campaigns is especially beneficial for users hoping to deliver mail to recipients based on demographic information, rather than location. There’s no shortage of segments you can target using GrowMail’s solution for targeted direct mail, too. Some examples include location, income, family size and marriage status just to name a few.
- Discount Zones: GrowMail possesses proprietary software that identifies areas where our economies of scale can be leveraged. This allows GrowMail to provide you with all of the same service as EDDM, at lower pricing. With that in mind, if you’re thinking about mailing a specific area, you can see if it qualifies for exclusive Discount Zone pricing here.
Let GrowMail Guide You Through Your Next EDDM Campaign
Now that you know what EDDM is, along with the ways it can be used, you’re probably eager to get started on your next campaign. Of course, if you still have reservations about getting started, there’s no time like the present to let GrowMail guide you through your next direct mail campaign. Having more than 20 years of experience helping businesses make the most out of EDDM campaigns gives us the expertise necessary to deliver the results you need. If you’re ready to begin making the most out of direct mail, book an appointment with a marketing specialist today!
Book an Appointment With a Marketing Specialist Below